From, "The History of Houston
County", Taylor Publishing, 1982 Page 45
In the early
1850's when white man began entering that part of the Minnesota Territory which
in time became Sheldon Township, there was a great deal of activity in the
valleys of Beaver, Sheldon and Badger. The main reason being the plentiful
supply of good water for both man and beast and also power purposes provided by
the numerous springs flowing from beneath the limestone bluffs.
One of the
first documents recorded in township records is one dated July 8, 1858 in which
John Brown gives to the people of the Town of Sheldon the right of way to a
spring together with the free use of the spring for getting water there from.
town meeting in Sheldon Township was held in the village of Sheldon May 11, 1858
for the purpose of electing Township officers.
Applebee was appointed Moderator, Lyman B. Jefferson,
Clerk. It was resolved that the next annual meeting be held at the house
of Heney Olson, Badger Creek. The
members of the first board elected were: Chairman of supervisors--John
Brown: Supervisors--Sterer Knudson,
Heney Olson; Clerk-James Paton;
Assessor--Michael Ryan; Collector--Lawrence
Lynch; Justice of Peace--Lyman B. Jefferson,
Christee Folson; Constable--Bartholomey
Kenney, James P. Anderson: Overseer of the Poor--John
petition a special town meeting was held September 20, 1858 to levy a tax to
raise money to pay township expenses. A levy of 3 mills was voted and
assessed against 22 property owners listed by name. This tax resulted in
an amount of $119.54. At year end expenses totaled $119.50 which left a
balance of 4 cents.
annual meeting held April 2, 1861, it was voted to raise $150.00 by tax levy for
school purposes. Rolland F. Sheldon
was appointed school superintendent, April 15, 1861. For this duty, he was
paid $1.50 in 1861 and $2.00 in 1862.
voted on annually was "shall hogs be allowed to run at large." This
resulted in an agreement which stipulated that the ridge between Beaver and
Badger was the dividing line between areas where hogs could and could not run at
election June 16, 1874 by the unaminous vote of 84 voters it was determined that
--"cattle, horses, mules and asses might run at large in the daytime between
April 1st adn October 15th." This rule was in effect until at least 1887.
In the early
years the annual town meetings were held in Sheldon or Badger on alternating
years. Later the Badger School House was used followed by the Harrington
School House. The Town Hall has now been moved to the former school house
in the Village of Sheldon.
years, the members of Sheldon Board of Supervisors have been quite conservative
in their management and up to this day the township has never been bonded.
comparison to the report in 1858, Sheldon Township in 1981 had $43,485.82
available and had a cash balance on March 1, 1982 of $14,770.87.
Board Members are: Chairman--Dale Runnigen;
Supervisors--Roy H. Ask, John A. Carlson; Treasurer--Thomas J. Solie;
history compiled by the clerk, Warren Sheldon Swenson, a great grandson of Dr.
G. J. Sheldon.
SAMPLE CENSUS LINKS: